Sunday, July 21, 2013

40 years.


July 21, 1973


So... how the hell do you do this? Well.... (of course) I will tell you.

1) Marry someone you actually like
2) Lower your expectations
3) Have a bigger perspective and grander scheme like building a family 
4) Have your own life, your own interests, and your own friends 
5) Have similar family values
6) Grit your teeth and stay together when you don't want to do it... it will come around
7) Be satisfied with your financial state (it isn't important)
8) Have a similar humor and similar intellect
9) Be a partner, even when your partner checks out...  they will.
10) Learn new skills like playing an instrument, learning a language, or going back to school.
Sitting and watching TVevery night together and staring mindlessly at each other as you watch The Bachelor doesn't cut it. This leads to bitterness and boredom. Been there; bought the t-shirt.
11) Most importantly: reread #2 ten times a day, and then read it again.

(If I had to do it over again, I would have waited ten years. You shouldn't be allowed to get married until you are at least thirty.)

"We" work because I don't have just one love-of-my-life to hug... I have more than I can count.

This was taken this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment