Friday, March 2, 2012

Maggi


I had too much wine today.

I’ve been on a strict diet with the intention of starving cancer cells if there is such a notion. I read a lot about it and some people believe this. I’m not so sure. Nevertheless, I study nutrition now like I am getting my RD, and this empowers me even if it is horse manure. It is working for me emotionally during this latest fight of mine.

And then there is Maggi. She is an old friend from college and she died yesterday. They don’t know how, but her partner found her dead in her home. Ironically, Maggi had just written to me telling me how much she loved my book, and that I was in her prayers. Me.

Maggi. Dead at 60.

I want her back. I want to tell her how I felt about her. I wanted to laugh again in how we met. She and I were on a double date. I was with Jon and she was with a boy named Bruce. That is how I met my husband… on a double date with Maggi. We always had a good laugh about it. Now Maggi is gone. This is how life works, and there is no control in any of it. We are born, we yearn to find love, and we die. This is it. All of the other crap that we concentrate on like being successful in business, owning a nice home, being thinner, being smarter, being famous, or creating something memorable means absolutely nothing. It is only love that matters as the days meander towards the end.

So, I had too much wine today. After that, I had too much Godiva chocolate. Now, I am hungover with a terrible headache. Here’s to you, Maggi.


Maggi Donohue (1951-2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment