Thursday, March 31, 2011

truth?

Our culture has it all wrong with hair. I have spent years trying to get my hair just right. My hair isn't curly enough to be pretty and not straight enough to look like a white girl. So, it takes work. I am a slave to products and CHI straighteners, and have watched Bruce for years just hop out of the shower and run off somewhere. We women have to work at just getting out the door. After this last week, I am wondering whether we women have it right at all.

If I could get over the concentration camp/conehead look I might decide that I look like an African queen and keep this look for a while. This hairdo is BY FAR the most comfortable one I have ever had in my life. Have you ever rolled your hand on the top of a boy with a buzz-cut? It's that satisfying. It feels remarkably freeing, and it I didn't have such a pea-head, it might look halfway okay.

I feel like Bozo in the wig even though it is the nicest hair I have ever had on my head. No frizz. Just the perfect shiny highlighted hair... I've heard that no one knows what type of hair they get when it returns after chemo. My hair looks like my brother's so it will be the color of Phil Donohue and the length of little boy by Christmas. I doubt whether I will ever dye or grow my hair long again. I am ready to just settle in to Nonnahood with a nice round belly, short hair and a cushy lap. What ever happened to those grandmas anyway?

That's all babies ever want... not some sixty-five year-old wannabe hot chick trying to be forty. No Botox for me... no fillers or tummy tucks. No more killing myself to look better - just living my life with joy and gratitude for being alive. Every day I will have with my kids and my grandkids will be my gift. Give me a size 14 and a life, baby.

Hanging in this morning, and I love feeling Lousy 1. Tuesday, I was a Lousy 8, and I couldn't get my head off the pillow. I never in my life knew that there were levels of "Lousy" and that the lower levels feel like being on a fluffy pillow in heaven.

I hadn't remembered having such good chocolate before, Maureen. Why does everything in my life taste so damn beautiful at Lousy 1? If I could get to a Good 2 by next year, I may really corner you with JOY.

1 comment:

  1. Yep, Sally, your hair always looked great. I never got my "big girl" hair. It's baby fine. My daughter who is a hair stylist refers to it as duck fuzz. It's straight, no body what so ever, and no matter what style I choose to have it just goes what I call "free form". It's different everyday and I have never cared. I gave up on my hair so many years ago when I cut off the waist length locks.
    I think you'll look great in a short spikey cut when your hair comes back. My friend, Pat, had much nicer hair when hers came back. She loved it...and she too kept it short. It was, apparently, very freeing.
    I think you've hit upon what's really important in your life and I'm happy for you. Sometimes when you are stopped in your tracks it is a blessing in disguise. I have found that in my life.
    Both of my Grandmothers were what I might call loving and squishy and they were the Best. That's all you really want for your family anyway. The Best ! I love you and am looking forward to a time when you can report a Good anything level.

    ReplyDelete