Thursday, May 31, 2012

civility...

I am glad I was raised in the 50's. There was civility which, looking back, may have seemed like a "put on," but it was something we all took for granted. We respected our "elders" and most little kids emulated a "scouting" type life where it didn't take a blue uniform and a badge to know how to say please, thank you and excuse me.

Today, it is more important to be tatooed and pierced. We don't have the skills when it comes to common courtesy or conversation, and are far more interested in money and looks than common table manners. People receive gifts and never mention it. Nowadays, they have email and texting, and, still, they never mention a kindness. Thank you notes are almost passe... which doesn't bother me as much as this sort of individual won't even email you.

Beyond. Rude.

I think it is impolite to answer, "what," when someone calls your name. Is this old fashioned? Probably. I think it is rude to run into an elevator before people come out of it. I think it is obnoxious to talk loudly in the theatre, push ahead of people in a line, say inappropriate epithets about someone's weight, not to RSVP early, start eating before everyone sits down, and pick your teeth at the table.

Old school? Okay, I'll take it.

It is RSVP (repondez s'il vous plait) - it means "respond if it pleases you." What a joke. In the days of civility, "if it pleases you" meant something as respect to the recipient of the letter. Nowadays, that makes me laugh because people think of RSVP as meaning, "respond when I bloody well feel like it." It takes having one wedding or big party to relate to the rudeness of not having someone respond in a timely fashion. I have never seen more hillbilly behavior as much as I have seen in the US of A these last ten years. We are slipping as a nation. Internationally, we are looked upon as a bunch of monkeys anyway and it is our responsibility to step it up. Every day, when we wake up in this country, we should feel pride, not entitlement. With that pride comes respect and civility.

If you don't know what it means, look it up.


No comments:

Post a Comment