Thursday, September 20, 2012

Wheat Belly

ohh, emm gee... I am reading a really good book: Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis.

 I don't consider myself a musician although some would say so. I am not an artist but some people believe it when they see my paintings.  I certainly don't consider myself a writer, but, God knows, I have the need to share and analyze... if not on paper then perhaps in a conversation with strangers... Blah Blah Blah...

blah blah blah blah...

 With all of those things that I am (or am not) my biggest interest through my life has been in the field of nutrition. This has always been true. Why? I don't know. Amidst all of my "good intentions" for good eating habits, I have had this swollen belly for at least ten years. I'm not a fat woman but am a woman with a soft belly. I have always wanted to be Modigliani, even though I look more like a Rubens, but through the years I have given up my quest for the perfect bod.

Until now. 


Rubens




Modigliani

You're thinking about me naked now, aren't you?


So, through these last ten years, I have been searching as though I am at an archaeological buffet to find out why I have this waistline... the single symptom of Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma - still swollen even after the fifteen lb. tumor in my stomach has been killed with chemo. I am hyper. I have the energy of a thirty-five-year-old. I never sit down. I work out like Jack LaLanne (OCDaily)and I eat with nutritious intention. No matter. I have a belly with or without this Spartan lifestyle. "Whiney" the Poo.

After my friend sent me this book,  I felt like Henry Higgins in My Fair Lady.

By George, she's got it.

I have heard about Atkins for years, but never bought the idea of downing a pound of bacon covered with butter and sour cream sounded like a good idea any more than HCG, vegetarian, Fruitarian or the latest Dr. Oz concoction for weight loss. Dr. Atkins has had it right all along, but with a little healthy tweak, it is the perfect way to live. Here's why:

1. Wheat is no longer the same thing as what our great grammies ate.
2. It is modified into something dangerous. (read the book for the details)
3. There is a substance in it that crosses the blood/brain barrier screwing with neurological receptors as though it is LSD.
4. Hence, it is addictive, and makes us feel like we are drugged and sleepy. Anyone been there after pasta  and beer night?
5. It promotes inflammation which is the cause of diabetes, depression, rheumatoid arthritis, immune disorders, acid reflux and cancer. Oh my.
6. It inflames your colon making you unable to assimilate nutrients no matter how well you eat.
7. Finally, it makes you so you are always hungry, insulin resistant and edgy. No amount of food feels like enough... kinda.like.heroin.

Now that I've made your flippin' day, go put that breadstick down.

*sigh*


No comments:

Post a Comment