Tuesday, January 31, 2012


"At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want."


Why is it that we try so hard to avoid the essence of who we are? That subtle voice tells us what we need and what we should be attempting. Innately, we know our talents and yet we fight them. We tell ourselves we aren't good enough, and fear rolling down that hill even if we know that there could be a soft cushion to break the fall at the bottom. We are taught that we will hit a big rock. We are conditioned not to try new things because we could screw it up and make fools of ourselves.

Some of the most rewarding experiences I've had were jumping into areas where I didn't think I belonged. It made me nervous and wary. My heart pounded as I stood on a stage singing, taught something to a crowd or took a class when I knew full well I could fall on my face.

I fear for those who don't go searching into this scary world, but watch it instead from afar inside of their anxiety. What they don't know is that jumping into the fire allows them to singe their dread and soar into the unknown towards a more meaningful life.

I heard a quote once that said, "do what you would do if you knew you couldn't fail." I say... do all things that you are almost positive of your personal failure, and it is in that scary place in which you learn to grow. Relish in the fear.

Why are you waiting?








No comments:

Post a Comment