Sunday, January 15, 2012

Let them GO.






















Have you ever had a person flick you in the face? It doesn't hurt, but just stings a little. Many people who say they love you do this. You forgive them because it may be so intermittent that you let it go. Then, even with "close" friends you start to see a pattern. You feel the first flick and you walk away. The next two, you are disappointed, but your cheek is getting a little pinker. After around ten to fifteen times, you feel the sting now even when they aren't in the room. Yes... you remember the last ten times that you were flicked in the face. When they are in your presence you begin to step away from them or worse... become defensive and irritable.

I have my Flick Barometer and once it measures too high, I don't go back for more. Sometimes the flick is the manifestation of being downright mean, but many times it is just for them being unnecessarily critical, boastful or rude. The flick of a finger can be a refusal to share in your successes, your joys or even by shooting down your ideas. Friends don't do that. For me, a flick can be a lack of a thank you or the omission of an apology. One of my biggest flicks is discovering that someone is a fair-weather-friend. I don't like those. When my Flick Barometer unearths one of those types... my head says *dingdingding* and... I do not go back for more.

I will not call them. I will not ask them to come over for dinner. I will not text them or braid their stinkin' hair. I will take great pride in cutting them off at the knees and ignoring the bastards for life.

I am just that good to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment